If you are not already taking advantage of the many great Press Release tips available, you are definitely missing out. An effective press release that is sent to the appropriate media can generate a lot of traffic and bring the online visibility needed to take your brand or business to the next level. If you haven’t jumped on the press release bandwagon yet, or if you need some help getting started, please continue to read.
Here are five great tips for generating a great press release to help you get the word out about your brand or business.
Keep your press release short
When trying to generate publicity, less is more is a great mantra to live by. If you keep your press release short (preferably to one page or less) you can get more people to stop and take the time to read it. The more white space surrounds your message, the more people will bother to read it.
Be mindful of timing
If you send out a press release on a Monday or Friday you will not get as many readers. These days of the week lead to disinterested viewers who aren’t in the mood for reading anything “work-related” because they are too focused on the weekend. By sending out your press release through a press release service such as iSentia, PRNewswire, PRWeb or BusinessWire mid-week, you will have a much better chance of having people read it. It is also wise to send out your press release between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The headline is key
David Ogilvy (one of the most successful copywriters of all time, who is nicknamed “the father of advertising”) has given us a lot of great press release tips. He said that only 20 percent of readers ever read the body of what you have written. In other words, the other 80 percent only take the time to read the headline and skip everything else. This statistic illustrates the major importance of writing a headline that entices people to want to read more. They key is to make it interesting and descriptive while still keeping it as short as possible.
Back it up with research
People really like seeing stats and quotes that have been backed by an expert or by research. If you can include at least a couple of interesting claims that are backed by research in your press release you will be able to establish a lot more trust and credibility with potential new customers.
Don’t try and re-invent the press release
There is a standard press release format for a reason. It is tried and tested and the preferred format for communications. If you try to release your information in a different format, you run the risk that your reader will spend more time trying to figure out what you are trying to say than actually reading it and understanding the message.
Use these press release tips to create a great press release that is sure to boost your marketing and PR efforts. By simply following these tips you will be able to increase your online visibility and make a big impact on your business.