One of the best ways to reach your target audience is to market your new business offline. Many people in today’s day and age believe that you can only get results through digital marketing. And while this is true for some target markets, often the best marketing happens when you take your efforts offline.
If you aren’t currently doing much in the way of offline marketing, it’s time to give your new business a boost with these 10 offline marketing tips. Sometimes the best inspiration is within reach. You just have to know where to find it.
1. Give your business cards a creative spin
One of the best ways to make your business known is to invest in well made business cards. You can set your brand apart from the others by selecting a unique design that shows off your brand’s creativity and values. Make sure all of your key employees have their own business cards to give out, because they could come across a prospective client at any time that could need one.
Here are two simple tips for making your business cards stand out:
• Position your business cards vertically rather than horizontally
• Use colored paper rather than the standard white
2. Take your printed marketing material to the next level
Another great way to reach your target audience is to pass out printed marketing material. While printing a flyer might seem like an ancient tactic, it still garners results. You can even take it to the next level by using a different template. There are tons of creative options for getting your target audience’s attention using pamphlets and flyers, just make sure you keep your costs low and make your material easy to read and practical.
Here are two simple tips for making your pamphlets and flyers worth hanging on to:
• Put discounted coupons on your flyers
• Include worthwhile infographics on your flyers
3. Go bigger with your billboards
Use innovative designs to make your billboards stand out from the rest. There is a lot you can do with billboard advertising, especially if it is located in a high traffic area. Billboards aren’t typically the cheapest form of advertising, but they generate great exposure, which makes the cost worth it. Just be sure to include your contact information and a call for action that is clearly printed in order to make the most of your outdoor advertising investment.
Here are two simple tips for saving money on billboard advertising:
• Partner with another business for a joint campaign and share the cost of a billboard with a premium location
• Wrap your vehicles and make them into a mobile billboard
4. Invest in different packaging for your products
If you sell a product with physical packaging that has a lot of competition, make sure your packaging stands out from the rest and includes a design that is thought through. You can easily boost the exposure of your brand by changing up the way your product is packaged. You can even give away branded promotional products or stickers with each product purchase to make it easy for followers of your brand to help you spread your message.
Here are two simple tips for updating your packaging:
• Change the position of your product from horizontal to vertical
• Use recycled material in your packaging
5. Give special discounts to groups
One of the most effective ways to market your new business offline is to throw a sale. This is a quick and inexpensive way to get your message out and foster loyalty to your brand. When you offer discounts to a certain group or target audience, you make those clients feel special, which boosts sales and brings in new leads. Be sure and advertise these incentives to grab the attention of potential customers who haven’t heard of your business before.
Here are two simple tips for giving away great discounts:
• Pick a specific target audience (e.g. newlyweds, seniors, moms) and offer them their own week of sales
• Offer unique discounts for each holiday
6. Reach out to your customers on the holidays
Do you have a special place in your heart for the holidays? Remind your customers about yourself by sending out small gifts and cards on holidays, milestones, or other special occasions. These don’t need to be expensive but will show your customers how much they mean to you and will speak volumes about your brand.
Here are two simple tips for making the holidays memorable for your clients:
• Send out a coupon book to customers a few months before Christmas that can be used for holiday shopping at your business
• Send out a card for your store’s anniversary each year that includes special discounts for customers
7. Focus on Public Relations
There’s no need to hire a PR team in-house; you just need to focus on relationship building with local journalists and relevant media in your area. Be sure and go out of your way to show them what your brand values are and to get to know them. Make sure your brand is newsworthy and ready for a story.
Here are two simple tips for garnering PR for your business:
• Find out which bloggers are influential and send them products to review
• Invite local media for a meet and greet
No matter how small your business is you can always use networking to achieve success. There are tons of opportunities for networking no matter how tiny your town is, so be sure and attend any relevant business events in your area. You can check around for area business groups to join and then be sure and become an active participant.
Here are two simple tips for creating a solid business network:
• Create mutually beneficial partnerships with other businesses in your area
• Create your own business networking group if there isn’t one currently
9. Be a participant in trade events
Participating and attending trade shows is another great way to garner more exposure for your business. Whether you are selling or displaying you will easily generate quality new business leads over a few days. Be sure your promotional materials are well suited to your brand and its objectives so you aren’t wasting valuable resources and time.
Here are two simple tips for getting the most out of trade shows:
• Offer free product samples or discounts for each new lead
• Have a gimmick for your target audience that will send them to your booth in droves
10. Offer up expert advice
The final tip for marketing your new business offline is to be an expert in your field. There are a lot of opportunities to help people and get airtime for your brand as an expert within your field. You could become a local radio show guest or be featured on a TV show offering up advice for consumers related to your industry and brand. The idea is to sell your product or service without having to do the hard sell.
Two simple tips for being an expert:
• Include helpful tips on your flyers
• Offer a day for “free consultations” at your office