Converting QBOnline files is not difficult. In Part One of this article you learned how to use the Export Interview function to change Lists and Transactions to a desktop version. This article explains how to convert Lists. Just follow the instructions below and you’ll learn how to convert a company file to a desktop version of QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions, or QuickBooks Premier.
You’ll have to log in as the QB Administrator when converting QBOnline files. Open both the QuickBooks Online Edition (QBOE) and QuickBooks Desktop and keep both open during the whole process, otherwise you will have to begin again.
To proceed with the conversion:
- Open QB Desktop to the version into which you will change your company file. Don’t actually open a company file; stop at the “No Company Open” window.
- Begin the QBOE export interview:
a) Click through to QuickBooks Online and log in.
b) Choose “Company” and click on “Export Your Data.”
c) Choose “Export Interview” in the “Help Topics” screen. The QBOE window should open.
- Select “Lists” and then “Next.”
- Read the data you will see in the window that pops up, titled “Exporting Lists.” Print off the entire list of details and read and keep the document for future reference.
- Click “Next.”
- Read the information provided about how to export lists, and click “Export” when ready.
- In the window that pops up, called “Create New QuickBooks File,” choose the location and name your company file.
- Click “Save.” QBOE will immediately start to convert your data and you will see a progress bar.
- When the conversion is done, read all of the information in the “Final Steps” window and click “Finished.”
- Switch to your QB desktop version and open the file you just saved:
a) Choose “File” and then “Open or Restore Company.”
b) Choose “Open a company file” and then “Next.”
c) Go to the location where you saved the company file, choose it, and click “Open.”
For additional help converting QBOnline files or help with any other aspect of QuickBooks, bookkeeping or accounting, click on the Find a Trainer tab for contact information of our local QuickBooks trainer.